Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mary's Rants for the Day

Kudos to the Supreme Court for throwing out a $70 million lawsuit filed by a widow whose 60 year old deceased husband died after smoking over 40 years. Her lawsuit was based on the grounds that Phillip-Morris hid the health risks from the consumer thus her husband died needlessly.

Let's see. There is a big, fat warning printed on the side of the box that says the product may cause cancer. That really sounds like it is hiding the fact that those smokes might not be good for you. And I can imagine a spokesperson for Philip-Morris was holding the cigarette in this mans mouth against his will and lit the match over and over, making this man smoke against his will. Yep. Bad Phillip Morris. You not only should print those warnings on the side of the box, you need to supply one screaming employee with each purchase so that the consumer not only sees with their eyes the warning, but they hear with their ears.

I am an ex-smoker. I smoked the red-top Marlboro for a couple of years. Not long term, but at the time I quit, I had worked up to 2 boxes a day. Not a light smoker by any stretch of the imagination. I've been smoke-free for almost 20 years. I understand, just as I did over 20 years ago, that I may get lung cancer due to my choice to smoke. I can't sue the tobacco provider over my choice to purchase. They provided it, but I bought it. How utterly irresponsible to try and sue someone else for a decision I made.

Of course let's not forget the woman who ordered coffee (last I knew it was served hot) and then sued McDonalds because she spilled it and it burned her. What did she think would happen when it spilled? C'mon. We tie up our judicial system over frivilous lawsuits aimed to make a fortune off of blaming others for our actions.

At some point we need to be big enough to say "I did this, I'll accept the consequences." At some point, our courts need to start fining individuals that insist on sueing others for their own choices. Lawyers that actually take these cases should have their license yanked out from under them. We live in a country where technological advances have grown by leaps and bounds in the last 50 years, yet we have zero common sense. And it shows.

Lack of common sense. Here's an example. Yahoo reports today that there is a 12-step program now for those addicted to email. 'nuff said.

Yahoo also reported today that worrying about how you will do on a math test may affect your score. If you are preoccupied with anything when it's time to test, even worry, it can affect your score. Plenty of those moments in high school. Can I get a witness? Common sense.

Ok. So my rant today can be summed up in two words. Common sense. You don't have to be brilliant to make it. You don't have to be financially loaded to turn heads. You don't have to be Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie to be successful. It appears as if all you have to possess is a little common sense and you'll stand out in the crowd. Try it.