Monday, October 10, 2011

Changed By Jesus-Lessons Learned from the Women Jesus Touched by Dana Grubb


Review by ~Mary

“I don’t do Bible studies.”

That has been my mantra for years. For some reason, I could never really connect with any of them-even the ones hailed by the mass media as a must-have. When asked why, I could recite many reasons. “They lack depth, interest, relevancy, and to be honest, my time is too valuable to waste doing something just because. I need to see real change after concluding the study and honestly, I never do.”

Funny-as in ironic-that Dana Grubb penned a Bible study titled Changed by Jesus-Lessons Learned from the Women Jesus Touched. I can admit to being skeptical and participating with one eyebrow raised, but that lasted about as long as it took to complete the first chapter. Seriously, I found that it was really fun. It was interesting to read the scripture references and commentary while reflecting.

There are eight studies divided into weeks. One woman is highlighted per week, with a devotional study for each day. So each of the eight women has five daily studies. The woman at the well teaches what it’s like to be an outcast. The chapter regarding the woman caught in adultery covers guilt, forgiveness and grace. The chapter titled Mary of Bethany covers sitting at the feet of Jesus and his extravagant love. These are issues and circumstances we can relate to, especially as women.

What is the daily commitment? Minutes. I finished in less than 30 minutes, but I savored the experience each day, too. I even did cross referencing and additional study. It’s something every woman can do no matter what your daily obligations are. If you desire to go deeper in your spiritual walk, to coin a phrase, you can’t afford not to.

Written with depth but very easy to comprehend, Grubb engages the willing student and takes them on a journey that will bring remarkable understanding and yes, change. Grubbs states, “I hope and pray that through this study you will see Jesus as the only one who can truly change lives-and that you’ll experience a changed life through your encounter with Him.” I don’t think she has anything to worry about!

Paperback: 176 pages
Publisher: WinePress Publishing (August 30, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1606150790
ISBN-13: 978-1606150795
Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 8.5 x 0.7 inches