Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Show Notes LIVE from Nashville with Penney Carlton and Don Furr!


It was quite an experience broadcasting our show LIVE from Nashville Monday evening. I usually broadcast from my home office which has become a makeshift studio. The environment is quiet and controlled; everything you hope for when doing a LIVE show. I under estimated the environmental issue when we chose an outside table at the local Panera to air the show from Monday.

It wasn't the traffic-both on foot and four wheels-that proved to be distracting. In fact, the Mom at the table next to us went out of her way to keep her toddler quiet when she realized we were on air. I never did get to thank her for that. Halfway into the show, as Penney began explaining the upcoming launch of The Wordsmith Journal, an employee from Panera came outside and started clearing tables. She then stopped at the trashcan, threw some paper away and proceeded with a one woman comedy skit that would take until the end of the show for me to regain composure from.

Apparently, she spied some bees in the trashcan and decided to play Billy the Exterminator. Both of my guests had their back to her and was oblivious to what was going on, but I had a front row seat as I was facing her. She rolled up her hand towel, assumed an offensive stance, reared back and snapped that towel, killing the bee. That one incident was ok. In fact, it was amusing. But when she rolled up the towel again, got in position and snapped that thing a second time, she wasn't content with the feel good of hitting her target. She had to announce that "I got it" while her hands were in the air as if she just caught the winning touch down during the Super Bowl. When she reared back a third time, and I knew I was going to hear the snapping noise of her wet towel and then hear the announcement that she got it, well, I lost it. I had to turn away from Penney and try to think about anything but what was happening 20 feet away. When the towel hit the can and I heard "I got it", it was over. I could not recover.

By this time, both of my guests haved turned around to see what the commotion is and Penney then loses it. Poor Don was caught between two women bent at the waist laughing, a woman that was on a mission to not waste one towel snap, and a LIVE show that had to go on. I could not look either of my guests in the eye for 10 minutes and I have never prayed so hard in my life that God would remove the sights and sounds that were taking place so that I could continue broadcasting in a professional manner.

Right about the time I was ready to ask Don to tell her to stop, she quit and went inside. On one hand, I knew there wasn't a bee for miles around. On the other, I don't think I have had the uncontrollable urge to laugh like that in a long time. She has no idea the pressure she put me under to maintain a semi-straight face.

So as you are listening to the archived show, if you hear noises in the background that sounds like someone is hitting something, you are right. And now you know why I am apologizing for the background sounds with a laugh in my voice. You just don't know how much that slight giggle was understated!