Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Novel Idea


What would it be like to have a conversation with the best Christian fiction authors in the business? What if they could give the aspiring writer information, encouragement and motivation that made a life-long impact on the writers career? What if the same writer needed help developing the tone of their writing, or had questions regarding pace, point of view, dialogue? Help is here and it arrives through the mentoring voices of Jerry B. Jenkins, Karen Kingsbury, Randy Alcorn, Francine Rivers and others. But before I get ahead of myself, let me be quick in saying A Novel Idea is for the reader, writer, reviewer and editor of Christian books.

I can say that because I wear all of the above hats. A Novel Idea is broad in it's audience, which is almost impossible to accomplish, yet brilliant if you can pull it off.

As a reader, I want to see more Christian fiction that actually has a Christian plot. The characters shouldn't compromise to gain a cross-over audience and sad to say, I've read quite a few lately that did just this. A Novel Idea stresses the importance of building Godly charactors and offers the how-to in making it happen.

As a writer, I found the advice hit the nail on the head and approached the exact needs I encounter in my own writing. A Novel Idea is a writers education in itself!

As a reviewer, I can attest to the substance and clarity of the information presented. It was not only informative, but entertaining and interesting at the same time.

As a content editor of Christian fiction, I won't allow a Christian manuscript to bear my approval unless it can be held to the highest of Christian standards. Do the characters wrestle with an element present in every Christians daily walk and by the end of the book, do they come to terms with their dilema? Are gratuitous writing aspects of secular novels missing in the so-called Christian manuscript-is profanity, sexual situations and other unnecessary elements absent? A Novel Idea echoes the passion I've held manuscripts to for as long as I have edited. It's comforting to know other authors have the same idea and strive to make the word Christian mean something.

Whether you are a reader or writer, this book is for you. When the subtitle claims "Best advice on writing Inspirational Fiction" it does just that. In a big way, and through some big names! Make sure your Christian manuscript is up to the challenge and read A Novel Idea first before submitting it!

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (November 1, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1414329946
ISBN-13: 978-1414329949
Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 6 x 1.1 inches

NOTE-A copy of A Novel Idea was provided by Tyndale House publishers for review.