Sunday, September 10, 2006

We are Golden Glove Bound...OR...More UFC Training Notes

Michael trained again today, and although that is not unusual, I was there to watch. Again. He did more boxing than "rolling around" today. I would not want to be on the receiving end of his fist. The kid can punch. There was another coach there watching him and was impressed. I heard him say "Michael, do that again with your left fist but this time slowly." And then under his breath to the other coach "See, he's got a left upper cut". I watched and lo and behold, his left upper cut is like art. So smooth, so precise, so calculated. His coaches announced he will be sparing in a couple of weeks, then driving some 45 minutes to spar with pro's, then in January, entering a Golden Glove match. Hey, I'm ok with this. It's better than UFC where they don't wear helmets and can punch and kick anywhere. I've gotta work up to that. Even if he doesn't need to, mom does.

The few minutes he did roll around, I was amazed how the goal is to practically hyper-extend your opponents arm or leg, break their arm or leg, or maime them in some other cave-man way. I still shake my head thinking, I spent 16 years teaching him that hitting and fighting is not the way to solve his problems and now I'm watching him train to do what? Yeah, I know. Ironic.

He's a good kid, though. He doesn't come home drunk, do drugs or get expelled. He stands up for what he believes in, uses his time wisely (by working out instead of getting into trouble) and loves his 4 year old brother beyond words. So in the whole realm of things, to watch him train to box is another acheivement that makes me proud. It will take a while to get used to him entering a ring but I'll do it. Whatever it takes to get him to his goal, I'll do it. That's what mom's do. That and pray.