Monday, September 04, 2006

Steve Irwin Dies


I don't know why this news has saddened me so much, so I will speculate.

When I read the news it was a shock. But as the shock wore off, I found myself almost grieving for his family. Just having gone through this recently, I can anticipate what his spouse, Terry, is feeling since I watch my Dad miss mom daily. And having lost both parents, I feel for the 8 yo daughter and 2 yo son. I also know what unexpected death feels like. For although my mom did have cancer, she entered the hospital under the guise of just needing hydration therapy and 18 days later she passes. I still don't know how we got from one place to the other so quickly. So maybe I had a little warning-that's questionable-it was still sudden. And my fathers passing was sudden. Definately not anticipated. So the words all of a sudden, out of no where, and unexpected strike a cord of sadness and grief in me. To read about the death of a 44 year old, suddenly and unexpectadly, hits too close to home.

America was in love with his sense of adventure. I'm sure Australia was, too. How many men do you know wrestle gators and snakes with the experience and expertise that Steve Irwin did. He had the knowledge, but lived it instead of preaching it. You watched him not knowing if he was extremely fearless or foolish. Yet, you couldn't help but like the guy. He loved life, and you couldn't help but sense that he was living life his way. Dangerous? Yes. Out of the ordinary? Yes. But he definatley made you envious of his courage.

It doesn't seem fair that the world goes on without this motivational influence. Perhapes we took away enough of his adventure, courage and zest of life after watching him for years to last a lifetime. I hope so. I really hope so.