Saturday, July 22, 2006

Miscellaneous Ramblings




First off, a big Welcome! to my new found friend Kayla. She has an awesome site for christian moms. You'll find her link on the sidebar, also.

I have started reading a super book. It's by John and Stasi Elderedge called
Captivating. Not just another how-to book, this tells you why, as a woman, you feel like you do and how to release the real woman inside of you. I'm only on pg. 23 and it has already changed my life immensely. Here is an example:

"I know I am not alone in this nagging sense of failing to measure up,a feeling of not being good enough as a woman. Every woman I've ever met feels it-something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does. An underlying, gut feeling of failing at who she is. I am not enough, and I am too much at the same time. Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough. But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated."

If you dare, buy this book and let it bring out the woman God created you to be. Not make you someone after 12 steps, but bring out what he already made you to be. Don't do, just be. That is the essence of the book so far. If you have read it, let me know if it is this good all the way through the book. It's THE book that gives you permission to be a girl, and a woman at the same time.

Another book I bought and will get into next is Son of a Preacher Man. It is the autobiography of Jamie Bakker and how he became a pastor"of Revolution, a ministry to a disillusioned subculture". Hurt by the imprisonment of his dad, Jim Bakker, he tells of how the church let him down. Ultimately it was God's grace that put him on the right track again and now he ministers to others that have been hurt or have lost their way through "religion".

It is a cloudy day today-one made for reading. If you don't have a good book waiting for you, buy one of these two. Grab yourself some coffee or hot tea and lose yourself in a good book. It time to take some time for yourself. Have a great day!