Sunday, July 16, 2006

Go Into ALL the World



I've often heard parents say that they are raising their children to be seperate from the world. Their reasoning is backed up by multiple verses in the Bible that speak about being seperate, set apart and unequally yoked. May I offer some background from someone who's BTDT?

I grew up in a Christian home. I had to of since my father was a minister for several of my early years. I was sheltered even after he left the ministry. Imagine how confused I was when I graduated high school and took my first job out in the real world? Can we say confused? I couldn't understand why the world didn't play by the same rules as our family. Even attending public school and doing some of those worldly things (going skatting) I still had a hard time adjusting to others that were not of my same faith and beliefs. I feel, instead of doing a spiritual service to me, perhapes it made me ingnorant and insensitive to others spiritual paths.

For me, it didn't work seperating me from the world. What a well-rounded christian needs is exposure after they have developed a strong sense of charactor. You need to be able to interact with the world without adopting it's unhealthy ways. So I can't convince you unless I give some biblical examples eh? Think about Danial. He was working and living among pagans. He never adopted their ways though. In fact, God used Danial to influence the pagans. GASP! God never called us away from the world. In fact, he calls us into the world but warns that we don't become like the world in the process.

I don't know about your church but ours isn't running over with sinners. It's on the outside of the church that you are able to impact those that need it. Jesus instructed his disciples to go into all the world and preach the gospel. So, go into your world and make a difference. Spark interest. Create change. You accomplish nothing by remaining segregated. And for your childrens sake, take it from me. Teach them to have a strong charactor, to have strong morals, and then let them into the world to impact it. David was young when he did. Your children are never too young to be used to bring about reform and change.